Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Adeleke Presents Certificate Of Return To Tinubu In Aso Villa

    August 20, 2026

    NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans

    August 19, 2026

    No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Adeleke Presents Certificate Of Return To Tinubu In Aso Villa
    • NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans
    • No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua
    • Arsenal Sign Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa In £51m Deal
    • Tinubu To Address World Leaders At UNGA 81
    • Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out For Help As Actor Battles Stage Four Cancer
    • Osun Election: APC’s Oyebamiji Accepts Result, Urges Supporters To Remain Calm
    • El-Rufai Files N10b Suit Against ICPC Over Denial Of Family Access
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TheScrutinyNG
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • News
      • World News
    • Sports
    • Interviews
    • Opinion
    • Entertainment
    • Columnists
    • ABOUT US
    TheScrutinyNG
    Home » Olympic Men’s Triathlon Postponed Due To Pollution In The River Seine
    2 Mins ReadJuly 30, 2024

    Olympic Men’s Triathlon Postponed Due To Pollution In The River Seine

    By Samuel AkpenpuunJuly 30, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Olympic men’s triathlon was postponed just hours before it was due to get under way on Tuesday after last-ditch water quality tests in the River Seine revealed unhealthy pollution levels, organisers said.

    In a blow to Olympic officials who have repeatedly vowed that the Seine would be safe for athletes to swim in, organisers said the men’s event would be delayed by 24 hours and take place immediately after the women’s race on Wednesday.

    A joint statement from Paris 2024 and World Triathlon blamed the excessive pollution on the heavy rain that deluged the French capital on Friday and Saturday.

    “Paris 2024 and World Triathlon reiterate that their priority is the health of the athletes,” the statement said after a meeting held at 3:30am local time (0130 GMT).

    “The tests carried out in the Seine today revealed water quality levels that did not provide sufficient guarantees to allow the event to be held.

    “Unfortunately, meteorological events beyond our control … can alter water quality and compel us to reschedule the event for health reasons.”

    Organisers had already cancelled training sessions in the Seine scheduled for Sunday and Monday because of unsafe pollution levels caused by last week’s rain.

    But they had expressed confidence that the pollution would drop in time for Tuesday’s race given the bright, sunny conditions in Paris this week which helps keep bacteria levels down.

    French authorities have invested 1.4 billion euros ($1.5 billion) over the last decade to clean up the Seine, including in major new water treatment and storage facilities in and around Paris.

    But heavy downpours still overwhelm the city’s underground drains and sewage system, leading to untreated effluent being released into the waterway.

    After an exceptionally wet spring and start to summer, the Seine had been consistently failing water tests until the beginning of July, causing a major headache for Paris 2024 organisers.

    Levels of the E.Coli bacteria — an indicator of faecal matter — were sometimes 10 times higher than authorised limits.

    The triathlon is the first Olympic event scheduled to take place in the river, before marathon swimming in the second week of the Games.

    Author

    • Samuel Akpenpuun
      Samuel Akpenpuun

      View all posts
    Olympic men’s triathlon Paris Olympics
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Samuel Akpenpuun

    Related Posts

    Breaking News

    Adeleke Presents Certificate Of Return To Tinubu In Aso Villa

    August 20, 2026
    Breaking News

    NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans

    August 19, 2026
    Breaking News

    No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua

    August 19, 2026
    Breaking News

    Arsenal Sign Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa In £51m Deal

    August 19, 2026
    Breaking News

    Tinubu To Address World Leaders At UNGA 81

    August 19, 2026
    Breaking News

    Osun Election: APC’s Oyebamiji Accepts Result, Urges Supporters To Remain Calm

    August 18, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Editor's Picks

    Adeleke Presents Certificate Of Return To Tinubu In Aso Villa

    August 20, 2026

    NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans

    August 19, 2026

    No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua

    August 19, 2026

    Arsenal Sign Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa In £51m Deal

    August 19, 2026
    Latest Posts
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 The Scrutiny. Designed by Design Streams.

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.