Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    IGP Charges Sowore With False Publication, Forgery

    August 27, 2025

    US Court Jails Nigerian Monarch, Oloyede for $4.2m COVID-19 Relief Fund

    August 27, 2025

    Premier League: Rio Ngumoha The Hero As Liverpool Beat Newcastle 3 -2

    August 26, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • IGP Charges Sowore With False Publication, Forgery
    • US Court Jails Nigerian Monarch, Oloyede for $4.2m COVID-19 Relief Fund
    • Premier League: Rio Ngumoha The Hero As Liverpool Beat Newcastle 3 -2
    • Tottenham Leads Premier League Table After 2 Nil Victory Against Man City
    • Tinubu Mourns Late Journalist, Evelyn Osagie
    • Tinubu Departs Japan for State Visit to Brazil
    • Haske: Why Atiku’s Son-in-Law Was Declared Wanted – EFCC
    • Frank Caprio, US judge nicknamed ‘nicest judge in the world,’ dies at 88
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TheScrutinyNG
    Subscribe
    Friday, August 29
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • News
      • World News
    • Sports
    • Interviews
    • Opinion
    • Entertainment
    • Columnists
    • ABOUT US
    TheScrutinyNG
    Home » 2027: Influential Northern Leaders, Govs Lobbying For Jonathan Candidacy
    3 Mins ReadOctober 19, 2024

    2027: Influential Northern Leaders, Govs Lobbying For Jonathan Candidacy

    By TheScrutinyNGOctober 19, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Influential northern leaders have initiated efforts to convince former President Goodluck Jonathan to enter the 2027 presidential race, presenting a significant challenge to Bola Tinubu’s re-election bid as dissatisfaction with his leadership continues to grow.

    According to sources as per PoliticsNigeria, a governor from the North East and a retired general from the North West are leading this campaign.

    Their argument hinges on the 1999 Constitution, which permits a maximum of two four-year terms for presidents, making Jonathan an appealing candidate since he is eligible for only one more term, having previously served as president.

    Jonathan’s extensive experience, proven leadership and strong goodwill in the South enhance his appeal among northern leaders, who view his potential to secure support across 17 states as a considerable advantage.

    In August, Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed publicly declared his support for Jonathan, even stating that he would abandon his own presidential ambitions and fully back Jonathan “with his blood” if he chooses to run.

    He had said, “With regard to your call for me to present myself, I am still contemplating my chances as the leader of the opposition.

    “I know there are good leaders within the PDP, especially my boss, Goodluck Jonathan.

    “I have always said that as long as Jonathan is around, I will not present myself for leadership of this country unless he decides not to run.

    “If we can persuade him to come forward, I will support him with my blood. Out of modesty, he is still not ready. I hope you will meet him and encourage him to run.

    “He will do a better job because he has the experience. We know the prices of things; we know the level of inflation.

    “During Jonathan’s regime, he was inclusive, addressing issues like the Almajiri system and creating initiatives for unemployed youths.

    “His leadership recruitment was exemplary. We need leaders like him—young people with energy, foresight and drive,” he said.

    According to the Tribune, the Jonathan-for-2027 movement is gathering steam, with significant lobbying efforts targeting key stakeholders across Nigeria’s six geopolitical zones. Civil society organizations, pro-democracy groups, and various pressure groups are being courted to back the initiative.

    Despite this, not everyone is on board. A rival faction, made up of governors and influential politicians, is pushing for a different southern candidate to run for the presidency.

    Both camps, however, share a common goal: to prevent President Tinubu from securing re-election.

    It is worth noting that similar efforts were made to draft Jonathan into the race under the All Progressives Congress (APC) banner before the 2023 election.

    At the time, his spokesman, Ikechukwu Eze, clarified that Jonathan had not authorized the purchase of nomination forms for the race.

    “While we appreciate the overwhelming request by a cross-section of Nigerians for Dr Jonathan to make himself available for the 2023 presidential election, we wish to state that he has not in any way committed himself to this request.

    “We wish to categorically state that Dr Jonathan was not aware of this bid and did not authorise it,” Eze stated.

    (PoliticsNigeria)

    Author

    • TheScrutinyNG
      TheScrutinyNG

      View all posts
    2027 election Goodluck Jonathan
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    TheScrutinyNG
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Breaking News

    IGP Charges Sowore With False Publication, Forgery

    August 27, 2025
    Breaking News

    US Court Jails Nigerian Monarch, Oloyede for $4.2m COVID-19 Relief Fund

    August 27, 2025
    Featured

    Premier League: Rio Ngumoha The Hero As Liverpool Beat Newcastle 3 -2

    August 26, 2025
    Breaking News

    Tottenham Leads Premier League Table After 2 Nil Victory Against Man City

    August 23, 2025
    Featured

    Tinubu Mourns Late Journalist, Evelyn Osagie

    August 23, 2025
    Breaking News

    Tinubu Departs Japan for State Visit to Brazil

    August 22, 2025

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Editor's Picks

    IGP Charges Sowore With False Publication, Forgery

    August 27, 2025

    US Court Jails Nigerian Monarch, Oloyede for $4.2m COVID-19 Relief Fund

    August 27, 2025

    Premier League: Rio Ngumoha The Hero As Liverpool Beat Newcastle 3 -2

    August 26, 2025

    Tottenham Leads Premier League Table After 2 Nil Victory Against Man City

    August 23, 2025
    Latest Posts
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 The Scrutiny. Designed by Design Streams.

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.