Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea Bissau

    November 28, 2025

    I’II Honour EFCC’s Invitation, Says Malami

    November 28, 2025

    Tinubu Hails Ex-PDP Spokesman Olisa Metuh On 60th Birthday

    November 28, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea Bissau
    • I’II Honour EFCC’s Invitation, Says Malami
    • Tinubu Hails Ex-PDP Spokesman Olisa Metuh On 60th Birthday
    • I Felt Like Hitting Obasanjo With Microphone At My Birthday — Fayose
    • Kebbi Schoolgirls: No Ransom Was Paid – Gov Idris
    • FG’s Request for Ekweremadu To Complete Prison Term in Nigeria Rejected by UK
    • Paystack Fires Co-founder Olubi Amid Allegation Of Sexual Misconduct
    • Terrorism: Court Sentences Nnamdi Kanu To Life Imprisonment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TheScrutinyNG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, November 30
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • News
      • World News
    • Sports
    • Interviews
    • Opinion
    • Entertainment
    • Columnists
    • ABOUT US
    TheScrutinyNG
    Home » Use Of Force Unacceptable, CSO Declares After Security Agents Unleash Mayhem On Peaceful Protesters
    2 Mins ReadAugust 1, 2024

    Use Of Force Unacceptable, CSO Declares After Security Agents Unleash Mayhem On Peaceful Protesters

    By Festus AdeloyeAugust 1, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Organised Civil Society on Thursday knocked the Nigeria Police Force for tear-gassing “defenceless protesters” in Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Bauchi, and other states in the country.

    In a statement, the United Action Front of Civil Society said three peaceful protesters tear-gassed by the police fainted in Abuja with many others injured.

    The CSO leader Olawale Okunniyi alleged that pro-government protesters forced anti-hunger protesters out of the Moshood Abiola Stadium, Abuja, the venue designated by the government.

    “The anti-hunger protesters sensing danger and possible violent clash, decided to quietly move in peaceful procession to the Eagle Square, where they had earlier designated to hold their peaceful protest.

    “On getting to the Eagle Square, security agents swooped on them and unleashed mayhem on peaceful [rotesters with tear gas canisters, injuring several unarmed and defenceless protesters with three protesters reported to have fainted.”

    The group strongly condemned the “resort to violence by the police in Abuja, Lekki, Kaduna and other centres in the country contrary to the assurances given to us by the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun during our consultative meeting with him on Tuesday”.

    “We find this show of force and reckless use of force unacceptable and barbaric and therefore call on the IGP to immediately call his men to order before the situation degenerates beyond control,” the statement said.

    Propagated on social media, the nationwide protests against economic hardship, tagged #EndBadGovernance, started on Thursday, August 1, 2024, and is scheduled to stretch till August 10 across all states of the Federation as well as the nation’s capital Abuja.

    Prices of food and basic commodities have gone through the roof in the last months, as Nigerians battle one of the country’s worst inflation rates and economic crises sparked by the government’s twin policies of petrol subsidy removal and unification of forex windows.

    The police, military and the Department of State Services had warned against Kenya-styled protests. Politicians, who surmised that the planned rallies might end up like the EndSARS demonstrations of October 2020, have continued to appeal to youths to shelve the planned rallies but the young people have been unfazed.

    Author

    • Festus Adeloye
      Festus Adeloye

      View all posts
    #EndBadGovernance Protest
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Festus Adeloye

    Related Posts

    Defence

    Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea Bissau

    November 28, 2025
    Breaking News

    I’II Honour EFCC’s Invitation, Says Malami

    November 28, 2025
    Featured

    Tinubu Hails Ex-PDP Spokesman Olisa Metuh On 60th Birthday

    November 28, 2025
    Featured

    I Felt Like Hitting Obasanjo With Microphone At My Birthday — Fayose

    November 26, 2025
    Breaking News

    Kebbi Schoolgirls: No Ransom Was Paid – Gov Idris

    November 26, 2025
    Crime

    FG’s Request for Ekweremadu To Complete Prison Term in Nigeria Rejected by UK

    November 24, 2025

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Editor's Picks

    Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Guinea Bissau

    November 28, 2025

    I’II Honour EFCC’s Invitation, Says Malami

    November 28, 2025

    Tinubu Hails Ex-PDP Spokesman Olisa Metuh On 60th Birthday

    November 28, 2025

    I Felt Like Hitting Obasanjo With Microphone At My Birthday — Fayose

    November 26, 2025
    Latest Posts
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 The Scrutiny. Designed by Design Streams.

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.