Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans

    August 19, 2026

    No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua

    August 19, 2026

    Arsenal Sign Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa In £51m Deal

    August 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans
    • No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua
    • Arsenal Sign Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa In £51m Deal
    • Tinubu To Address World Leaders At UNGA 81
    • Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out For Help As Actor Battles Stage Four Cancer
    • Osun Election: APC’s Oyebamiji Accepts Result, Urges Supporters To Remain Calm
    • El-Rufai Files N10b Suit Against ICPC Over Denial Of Family Access
    • Edo Assembly Speaker, Blessing Agbebaku Resigns, Idiaye Assumes Position
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    TheScrutinyNG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • Politics
    • Business
    • News
      • World News
    • Sports
    • Interviews
    • Opinion
    • Entertainment
    • Columnists
    • ABOUT US
    TheScrutinyNG
    Home » Venezuelan Authorities Free 223 More Detainees From Post-Election Protests
    2 Mins ReadDecember 24, 2024

    Venezuelan Authorities Free 223 More Detainees From Post-Election Protests

    By Samuel AkpenpuunDecember 24, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Venezuelan authorities have set free another 223 prisoners who were arrested during post-election protests, the prosecutor’s office announced Monday, bringing the total number of protesters released to 956.

    More than 2,400 people were arrested — and at least 28 killed — after widespread demonstrations against President Nicolas Maduro’s declaration of victory in July’s elections, which the opposition said it had won.

    “Over the course of today in coordination with the criminal courts a new group of cases were reviewed,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement.

    Relatives of the detainees have been protesting and holding vigils for weeks to demand releases before Christmas.

    The process of reviewing the release of detainees began last month.

    Only a handful of countries, including key Venezuela ally Russia, have recognized Maduro’s reelection to a third six-year term.

    Rights group Foro Penal has disputed the government’s claims on the number of people released.

    Those arrested in the hours following Maduro’s victory proclamation were charged with terrorism and incitement to hatred and were subsequently taken to maximum security prisons.

    The protests were sparked after the opposition, led by Maria Corina Machado, claimed that its candidate, Edmundo Gonzalez Urrutia, had won the poll.

    The opposition released results that appeared to show their candidate winning by a landslide.

    The electoral council did not release detailed official results, but declared Maduro the winner of the election.

    Three of the detainees — aged 36, 43 and 44 — died in the custody of the authorities. Relatives have also reported suicide attempts.

    AFP

    Author

    • Samuel Akpenpuun
      Samuel Akpenpuun

      View all posts
    Venezuela
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Samuel Akpenpuun

    Related Posts

    Breaking News

    No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua

    August 19, 2026
    Breaking News

    Tinubu To Address World Leaders At UNGA 81

    August 19, 2026
    Breaking News

    Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out For Help As Actor Battles Stage Four Cancer

    August 18, 2026
    Breaking News

    Osun Election: APC’s Oyebamiji Accepts Result, Urges Supporters To Remain Calm

    August 18, 2026
    Featured

    Edo Assembly Speaker, Blessing Agbebaku Resigns, Idiaye Assumes Position

    August 17, 2026
    Breaking News

    Jubilation In Osun As INEC Declares Adeleke Winner Of Governorship Election

    August 16, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Editor's Picks

    NELFUND: Tinubu Approves Recovered EFCC Cash For Student Loans

    August 19, 2026

    No Shortcut to Aso Rock: ADC, NDC Must Be Prepared To Work — Afegbua

    August 19, 2026

    Arsenal Sign Aston Villa’s Ezri Konsa In £51m Deal

    August 19, 2026

    Tinubu To Address World Leaders At UNGA 81

    August 19, 2026
    Latest Posts
    Advertisement
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2025 The Scrutiny. Designed by Design Streams.

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.